Monday, February 4, 2008

To all those moms that know more than I do...

So, let me just start by saying that I know I'm no expert at this mothering thing which is why I'm posting this. I'm hoping that those of you who know what you're doing can help me out.
Everyone knows how much I love my little Romie. That's a no-brainer, but today he's been driving me crazy! I don't know what to do. He literally wants me to hold him all day long. First of all, that's just not feasible for anyone (especially someone who's 16 weeks pregnant). Everytime I would put him down he would throw a huge tantrum (see below for a visual). I'm racking my brain to try to find out why he's acting like this because he's usually really easy-going. He did have an ear infection and I took him to the doctor on Saturday and he gave him some antibiotics and they seemed to start working really fast. He's not acting like he's sick (no fever or runny nose anymore.) So, I had convinced myself today that maybe the antibiotics were just making him kind of crazy. I decided to cowgirl up (that's one of my Wyoming sayings) and just hold him pretty much all day long. Luckily he did take a long nap, so I was able to rest for a little while. When he woke up I just tried to make dinner one-handed. It was a little difficult, but Jason came home half-way through and relieved me. Anyway, as soon as Jason got home, Roman's whole attitude changed. He was laughing and playing with Jason. It was like he was suddenly "cured". Jason was like, "I don't know what you're talking about. He seems happy to me." So, what's with him? Why is he all clingy and grumpy all day long with me, but as soon as someone else is around then he's fine? Is he just bored with me? Even when I tried playing with him today it didn't make him happy. I don't know what to do.

6 comments:

Korbi said...

he knows there's a baby on the way.... :)

Cindy said...

Oh Beff! Camden is doing the exact same thing right now. It's horrible! I'm just assuming it's a phase he's going through b/c I can recall something similar with Maddie when she was little. I always complain to Ben that Cam has been following me around all day-crying for me to hold him and BAM when he gets home he's a little peach! Little stinkers! Good luck with your little leech :) Hopefully it will pass soon!

SenatorBond said...

A.R. [Affection Refraction] is a common theme among many of the households that I consult with as a child-rearing expert. The child prefers the maximum attention from the primary caregiver, while at the same time requires little attention from the secondary caregiver (typically the father figure) to be in a happy state. The rationale behind this feeling lies in the concept that he or she has nothing more to do to gain the acceptance from the primary caregiver. Because there is no longer any motivation to please to gain that love, there is no reason to maintain good, proper behaviour. However, because the secondary caregiver spends much less time with the him or her, the baby spends more effort on pleasing the secondary caregiver to gain the same love he or she has for the primary caregiver.

What is the solution you ask?

Pretend you no longer love him or her. He or she must believe that he is not loved in order to have the motivation to comport properly.

If you would like my further expertise, I would be happy to provide it for a nominal fee.

Bethany said...

Funny, Chad. I didn't know that you were such a child-rearing expert. How many households do you consult?

Kenna said...

AHHH! I've been there let me tell ya! Brynlee was like that the first year of her life... then she just kinda snapped out of it. I'm sure it's just a phase, which brings no comfort what so ever since there is no "cure" for a "stage"! Every once and a while she'll revert back to that but I've found it's usually because she constipated (sorry..gross!) but at least there is a "cure" for that...peaches, peas and pears... a big smelly mess and she's back to normal!:) And my kids are always doing the "perfect happy kid for Daddy" bit... it makes me so mad sometimes...little stinkers! Well good luck with whatever it is:)

Shaila Lou said...

I hate those days!! Maybe he was just missing Jason!?! He's so dang cute!