Friday, February 8, 2008

I found the cure

In my last post I was complaining about how clingy Roman had been lately, and how he wouldn't let me do anything unless I was holding him. So, yesterday I was talking with two of my friends and they said, "Have you tried letting him watch TV?" I actually had tried that and it never worked. In fact, yesterday morning I tried it and he ran up to it and turned it off. So, today when I got back from the gym, I was feeling especially tired and I didn't want to have to deal with his antics that occur when I'm trying to take a shower, blow dry my hair, and do my makeup. The past couple of days he's been making me hold him while I do my makeup and it just doesn't end up looking too good. So, I thought I'd give the TV another shot. I turned on Sesame Street and got him all cozy on the couch and to my surprise he LOVED it! I don't know what has changed in the past 24 hours, but all of a sudden he's a fan of Big Bird and the gang. So, I proceeded to get myself ready for the day and every once in a while I would hear him growling (he likes to growl at Oscar, he must know he's a grouch) and I even heard him laughing pretty hard a few times. Admittedly, I used to be one of those moms that said I wasn't going to let him watch any TV until he was 2, but I say desperate times call for desperate measures. I'll try to limit it to about 30 mins a day though, but I might end up fudging on that a bit too. So, maybe I won't win the "mother of the year" award that I so desperately wanted, but at least I can do my makeup with two hands again.

See how happy he is watching TV? I love that cheesy grin.

7 comments:

Cori said...

I was trying to go for the mother of the year award too. BUT, after months of trying to turn Q's head away from the tv I finally gave in and now he doesn't even look at it except for when Baby Einstein is on. It will be a rough day when Q stops his morning naps and I have to shower and get ready while he is awake.

Cindy Spratling said...

Oh Beff,
Count your blessings. You will miss this time when Roman is little and soon (when the next baby comes) he will be all grown up and not want to be held at all. Thank goodness for Sesame Street. When else would my kitchen get cleaned?! It's the one show Claire will actually watch.

Nicole Stucki said...

I love TV. I would never get anything done if Taylor didn't watch TV for a bit each day. I am glad that little Roman likes is. So how have you been feeling? I hope great. Oh Taylor really likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Shaila Lou said...

Malcolm has been loving TV since he was 6 months old. I would put Finding Nemo on, and that was the only way I could get a shower in. Quinn didn't like TV until recently and now would watch it all day if I let him. We limit it to one movie a day...we don't have cable. I'm glad you figured out what will make him happy.

Oh and way to go and continuing to work out!!! It made a huge difference for me during the pregnancy, and now after. I feel better then to first 2!! Keep it up if you can, you won't regret it. It just harder to breathe and more tiring!

Anonymous said...

I use Big Bird and the Gang in the mornings so that I can shower and get ready too! I am glad that I am not the only "non-mother-of-the-year." Jake has clingy days when he isn't feeling very good and every day when I try to make dinner, so I put him in his high chair so he can see what I am doing and give him kitchen uts. so he can "cook" too.

Korbi said...

Welcome Bethany. :) Hey, lucky you I tagged you, check out my blog. See you Thursday. 10 am is play group, so 9:45 my house and follow me to Necia's?

jenica heslop said...

HEY BETHANY, I SAY THE MOTHER OF THE YEAR AWARD GOES TO ANY MOTHER WHO CAN KEEP HER SANITY! WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO WORKS! MY KIDS NEVER WATCHED T.V. WHEN THEY WERE LITTLE, BUT BARBIE IS MY BEST FRIEND WHEN I NEED A SHOWER! GOOD JOB, HATS OFF TO BIG BIRD! IT'S SO GOOD TO SEE ROMY SMILE!