Sunday, April 20, 2008

Baby Love

Last Summer I happened upon a yard sale that had an '80s Cabbage Patch Doll for sale. She was in perfect condition and she even came with the authentic little birth certificate. I loved my little cabbage patch when I was growing up and I just couldn't resist buying this one. By the way, her name is Hannah Hetty and she was born on November 1, 1986. Anyway, when I returned home and showed Jason my proud purchase, he was a little puzzled. The first thing he said was, "Well, you didn't buy that for Roman, did you?" I reassured him that I wasn't going to try to feminize his son by making him play with dolls, and that if was more for me. So, little Hannah Hetty has been sitting in one of Roman's toy drawers and he really hasn't paid much attention to her until recently. Lately he's really been interested in babies. Every time we see one he points and screams "Baby!" really loudly. So a few weeks ago he finally noticed my little orange-haired Hannah and he ran up to me with her screaming "Baby!" Then he proceded to throw her on the tile then pick her up by the hair and throw her again. I decided that it might be wise to teach him how to be "soft" with babies since he'll become a big brother in July. So, I showed him how we don't hold babies by the hair and throw them and that instead we give them hugs and kisses. He's at that age where I'm never really sure if he understands what I'm saying or not, so I was actually really surprised when he started being so sweet to her. He instantly started holding her like a real baby. Then he started stroking her hair and giving her kisses. It was so cute! Much to Jason's dismay, Hannah has become one of his favorite toys now. He's not always sweet though. I'll still catch him throwing her every now and again, but for the most part he loves his little Cabbage Patch doll. I'm hoping that this love for babies will continue until I have his little sister. She may not have the long flowing orange hair like Hannah Hetty, but I think he might love her anyway.






15 comments:

Cindy Spratling said...

Oh that is too cute! Tell Jason not to worry, it's good for little boys to learn to be sensitive and soft, especially because he will be a big brother soon. And Roman just looks too cute to take it away!

Kenna said...

Oh my goodness I think that is my cabbage patch doll! Seriously I had one exactly like that growing up! Ha ha! Roman looks so cute holding the doll, I think it's a great preparation tool for him:)

Jess said...

Gotta love those cabbage patch dolls :) I'm sure Dillon will be playing with Hannah's dolls before we know it! Hope you are feeling well and that you have a great week! Are you just so excited that it is yard sale season!!!!

AlliFinn said...

Im sorry but that is one of the cutest things. Hope lunch works out this week for us girls

Danna said...

Poor Hannah Hetty, she is as homely as I remember her! But, that is so funny! Romie is just too cute. I love the pictures of him holding her. I am sure Jason is really pushing the balls right now, but I think it is precious. Let's hope your baby is cuter than Hannah Hetty. :)

Lauren said...

How sweet! I love when they play like that. I'm sure Roman will be a great big brother and LOTS of help. :) I love your doll. She's adorable.

Natalee said...

HOW CUTE!!!! She looks like the Cabbage Patch I had! Except mine had two braids instead of a pony tail. (I still love Cabbage Patch dolls too!) I'm glad he is loving his little doll. Those pictures are so sweet. :) He will be so good with his little sister. Are you going to name her Hannah Hette too??? ;)

Mom said...

Those pictures are too cute. You will recall that I bought Cabbage patches for each of the boys, too. It never hurts them to learn to be tender. Don't get your hopes up for a redhead, tho' - unless those Baird genes come out really strong!

Korbi said...

sooo cute.... i love the pics of him holding her. Stephen got mad at me too when I bought Beck a doll, but he is so sweet with Paisley. Not so sweet with anyone else, but at least he's soft with her. He knows he will have to beat up all her boyfriends some day...

melanie said...

Oh so cute! I love a little boy and his doll (both of mine had one and they are manly men at ages 4 and 6 now, ha). The phase is so short, Jason need not worry. Get all the pictures you can cause soon it will be... 'NO doll for me!' coming out of his mouth.

Megan said...

Oh Bethany! I remember my cabbage patch kid...I actually wept when I opened him! His name was Len Willis and he was a bald preemie with a pacifier! Sigh...

Shaila Lou said...

Oh so sweet! What good practice he'll have before the baby is here. Just like a sibling, somedays he'll love her, other days he'll want her gone!

Cindy said...

Oh that is just too cute. What a cute little story.

Trenton & Maren said...

Hi Jason we found your blog through Sean & Amber's blog. This is a good way to keep in touch with everybody. Our blog is tmjenks.blogspot.com but it is private, so if you want to take a look then email me mkjenks@juno.com
Trenton

jenica heslop said...

So cute, really. check out my blog though and see what they do when they are seven!!!! just kidding. check it out, but don't show jason! LOL!