Friday, December 14, 2007

First Steps

Anyone who knows me knows that I can tend to be slightly paranoid or a bit of a worrier. This is especially true when it comes to Roman. I am almost in a constant state of worry with him. I know that it's stupid and I tell myself all the time "Worrying won't do you any good" but I kind of can't help it. So, what I'm getting at here is that Roman is almost 15 months old and he still isn't walking. I've been telling myself that he's OK and I really did know deep down that there was nothing wrong with him, but I couldn't help but worry just a little bit. All my friends kept telling me that there was nothing wrong and that I should even be thankful. Well the other day when we were in Wal-Mart this lady was telling me how cute Roman was and then she asked me how old he was. I told her he was 14 months. She said, "Is he running around everywhere?" I told her he wasn't walking yet and she said,"Oh no! Have you told his doctor?" I was so taken aback by her response. I just said, "Oh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm not worried about it. He'll do it when he's ready." But really I was thinking to myself, "Oh man, maybe I do need to talk to his doctor." Then she just kind of looked at me with this pitiful look like, "Your son is paralyzed and you don't even know it." So, I'm happy to report that my little Roman doesn't have anything wrong with his legs! He took 5 steps in a row last night. After he saw how excited Jason and I were about it, he kept walking back and forth to us. It was pretty fun. However he hasn't done it at all today. Oh well...at least I know he can do it. And now I'll just have to find something else to worry about. :)He was pretty proud of himself. I love that look on his face.

7 comments:

Korbi said...

you never told me about the Wal-Mart lady!!! I would have smacked her, Bethany you are too nice. I can't wait to see him walk. We might have to come and visit tomorrow. Thanks for lending us Jason to help set up the dryer the other night, sorry he wasn't home til late...

Nicole Stucki said...

Beff! Roman has gotten so big and what a cutie. You look so good too. I am due in 5 weeks. Taylor came 4 weeks early so we are hoping this one stays in a little longer. We are having another girl. I will keep you updated!

SenatorBond said...

"Your son is paralyzed and you don't even know it." Did that lady say it seriously, or was she joking around? If she said it seriously, you should have responded,"Well you're dumb and ugly and don't even know it." Does this lady have any medical creditials to back up her on-the-spot diagnosis? Did you at least give her a krusty stare-down?

The Bennions said...

I remember worrying about Gracie...she didn't walk until she was 16 months old, so Roman's got her beat!! It's so hard not to worry even when everyone tell you it's fine! Darn Walmart people!

Bethany said...

Let me clarify, she didn't actually SAY "your son is paralyzed" she just gave me this look like that was what she was thinking. Then she went on to tell me how her son walked at 10 months and her daughter walked at nine. I didn't really say much. I think she could tell I was getting annoyed.

April said...

I love kenna's comment, "darn those walmart people!" So true... although I love to shop there I don't think I will ever become a Walmarter. I also get so many comments from people there.

That is so exciting that he is taking steps! It is such a fun time for you guys and him. Good luck with the next couple of days when he keeps trying. :) keep us all posted!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Bethany!! Romy looks soooo cute. I miss you guys! What a cute family. Alli started walking two weeks ago and is now almost running so she can chase her man! I miss you. Tell everyone hello!

JoAnne and Alli